Can We Talk For A Minute?

I'll never forget getting in a cab probably 15 years ago. The driver was in his 40s and had big curly headbanger hair, still frosted as if it was 1988. He was wearing an old RATT concert tee that blended in with his sleeves of tattoos. He was on the phone at first trying to figure out who was going to get the Motley Crue tickets for him and his friends once they went on sale the next day and I instantly liked him. He was like a fossil leftover from the 80s but the thing was, he was the real deal. He stayed true to the music that he was raised on and had no desire to change any of that. Or at least that was my first impression. I've since learned never to think for certain that I have someone all figured out in a quick glance or three.

As the cab finally started to move he asked if I minded the radio and of course, I didn't. I remember being intrigued by him but also worried that he wouldn't get me to the airport on time.  Then he told me he didn't like what was on so he was switching over to a CD. The CD was Tevin Campbell and my jaw hit the floor. As "Can We Talk" started to play I told him I never expected to hear that in any cab, because years later most people don't seem to remember him let alone play his stuff. 

The driver loved him as much as I always have and we totally bonded over about 5 songs while sitting in traffic. I don't usually remember details of drives with a stranger but that one, it stuck for so many reasons. I like him as I admittedly pre-judged him and then I liked him even more when I stopped pre-judging. Think about that, there's a lesson in there.

Popular posts from this blog

Vehicle.

Note To Self.

Raised On Radio.